top of page

Injured Spouse

Injured spouse claims usually arise when your spouse had a tax debt prior to your marriage, or the IRS is attempting to garnish your refund for your spouse’s college loans, child support payments or federal loans.  


An injured spouse claim may be filed


If the IRS is holding part or all of our refund to pay your spouse's debts, an injured spouse claim may be a good solution for you,


If you are thinking of filing a joint return with your spouse, but are afraid that the IRS may keep your refund.  


In order to qualify for relief as an injured spouse, all of the following statements must be true:


1. You must have filed or intend to file a joint return;

2.  You must have earned some of the income claimed on the return;

3.  You must have paid part of the tax;

  • You paid with withholdings through your paycheck;

  • You made estimated tax payments;

  • You were eligible for a refundable credit such as the Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit

4.  Only your spouse must actually owe the debt


If you feel that you meet all of these criteria, it might be possible to file an injured spouse claim.  Call today for a consultation.

bottom of page